Monday 2 April 2012

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson thought he was just your ordinary, dyslexic, ADHD kid. But, boy, was he ever wrong. Percy Jackson has never known his father, his step-father is one of the many miseries of his life, and his mother is the best thing since sliced bread. Percy’s dyslexia and his ADHD has made it pretty hard going to school. But that doesn’t explain the weird things that seem to be happening at each and every school he’s ever gone. Sure, he’s always found Greek Myths interesting, but never did he imagine just how much they were going to affect his life. For the first time, he is given something worthwhile to do. Unfortunately for him, he didn’t understand the full consequences of failure until after he accepted his quest. No matter what he is, human, god, half-blood. Nothing can prepare young Percy for what’s coming.
I really loved the mixtures of ancient Greece myths with the 21st century. I found this book highly amusing and light-hearted. Not to mention, edge of her seat, intense, action scenes and very believable characters. The gods really cracked me up with their clothes and basic lifestyles. When I started the book I was thinking, ‘Oh man, not another sob-story...’ That was a serious misjudgement. This made you anything but sympathize with Percy Jackson. It made me want to laugh at him sometimes, but others I suppose it did compel me to have some pity on him. The Lightning Thief is the first book in the series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and I look forward to digging into the following books. If you read this book, which I recomend you do, then prepare for the unexpected.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book greatly, except that I t first listened to it on cd. The reader was HORRIBLE! he ruined the entire story. Jesse Bernstien, bane of my cd listening career.

    ReplyDelete